- 1 1/2 OXO beef stock cubes
- 375ml boiling water
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1.3kg beef chuck steak, cut into 4cm pieces
- 175g rindless bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 500ml (2 cups) red wine
- 1 tbs chopped fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 30g butter
- 1 bunch spring onions (globe onions), trimmed, halved
- 250g button mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- Mashed potato, to serve
Step 1: Preheat oven to 180ºC. Combine stock cubes and water in a jug. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook one-third of the beef for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with oil and remaining beef.
Step 2: Heat the remaining oil in the dish. Add the bacon, brown onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the flour and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually add the wine, stirring constantly, until well combined.
Step 3: Add the beef, stock, thyme and bay leaves to the bacon mixture. Cover and bake for 2 hours.
Step 4: Meanwhile, melt butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the spring onion and mushrooms, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden.
Step 5: Add the mushroom mixture to the dish. Bake, covered, for a further 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season meat with salt and pepper. Serve with hot, buttery mash.